ATHLETIC SUMMER MEAL PAIRINGS - NBC
After our appearance on NBC CT last week, we’ve gotten quite a few requests for summer meal and bbq recommendations. We wanted to share the recipes we made on-air as well as some of our other favorites! Thank you very much to CT Live, Taylor, and NBC for having us on!
DISHES WE MADE ON AIR:
Just like with our beer, we aim to eat plant-based and clean ingredient profiles at every opportunity we can. We strongly prefer whole foods and the fewer ingredients per dish the better (and easier!).
All Out Stout -- “Summer Stout Pairing”
Since Athletic beer contains little to no alcohol, it can freeze. These paletas (Mexican popsicles) are made with paleo friendly cacao mix and Athletic Stout.
● Ingredients (to be blended together):
○ 13-Ounce can of full-fat coconut milk
○ 1/3 Cup raw cacao powder
○ 2 Tablespoon raw honey
○ 1 Teaspoon finely ground espresso
● Fill popsicle molds half-way with this mixture and insert stick. Freeze for 1 hour - pull out of freezer and fill the molds the rest of the way with All Out Stout. Freeze overnight.
○ The espresso and cacao provide all the flavors associated with roasted malts in the stout. The full-fat coconut milk as a base provides a healthy and creamy popsicle flavored with chocolate, coffee, and roasted nuttiness for the first half, and the bottom of the popsicle is frozen stout! Great for anyone who wants to enjoy the flavor of a dark beer when it’s hot and humid outside.
Cerveza Athletica -- “Working Late Spicy Tacos”
Tired from grinding at the office? Most of us work way too late on your typical Taco Tuesday to bother to cook when we get home - here is how to have a beer and tacos within 15 minutes of walking in the door! Works great on weeknights or weekend bbq’s!
○ 1 Can of chickpeas, drained
○ 1 Tablespoon olive oil
○ 1 Can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
○ 1 Avocado - cut in half and remove the pit.
○ Corn tortillas
○ *Bonus* - Any pre-washed veggies fresh or from a bag (greens, broccoli slaw, shredded cabbage etc.). For this, I like to walk into the fresh produce section of the grocery store and grab what looks good.
● Heat oil in frying pan. When hot, toss in drained chickpeas and toss to coat and cook in oil. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Chop one chipotle pepper from the can and toss it in the chickpeas along with a scoop of sauce from the can (quick and dirty). Toss to coat all the chickpeas. Mix in chili and paprika if available.
● Top 1 tortilla with some spicy chickpeas, 1/4 of the avocado, veggies and enjoy with an ice cold Cerveza Athletica.
○ A classic pairing for a busy work night. The clean Cerveza Athletica is based on classic Mexican lagers, with a smooth body and clean finish. It is a great compliment to smoky, spicy chickpea tacos with fresh avocado. This dish is a great, quick dinner, paired with a cold beer that won’t pack on pounds from too many carbs.
○ Veggies can also be roasted in the oven (corn is good alongside too – cook it right in the husks)
Run Wild IPA -- “Making A Healthier Wing”
Hoppy IPAs are always a winner when pairing with spicy and piquant foods. By following a simple recipe, you can cook a healthier wing that packs the same great flavor.
○ 3 Pounds of chicken wings
○ 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
○ 1 Teaspoon paprika
○ 1 Teaspoon chili powder
○ 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
○ 1 Tablespoon olive oil
○ 1/2 Cup hot sauce
● Mix everything except the hot sauce together and bake on a foil-covered pan at 400ºF for 25 minutes. Flip with tongs and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Once done, remove the wings from the oven and toss with hot sauce.
● *Optional*: a healthier Blue Cheese dipping sauce!
○ 1/2 Cup crumbled blue cheese
○ 6 Oz plain Greek yogurt
○ 1 Tablespoon light mayo
○ 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
○ 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
○ 1/8 Teaspoon garlic powder
○ Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
● Mix the above ingredients together and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
○ Without deep-frying or dusting in flour or butter, this combination of a spicy chicken wing and a cooling blue cheese dip is a healthy take on a classic dish. The heat of the hot sauce reacts well with the IPA’s hoppy and citrus-like flavors. A slight malt character and piney NW hops help to stand up to these strong flavors. This recipe and pairing shows proof that healthy beer food does exist!
Upside Dawn Golden Ale -- “Healthy Pizza Night”
A classic golden ale with gluten removed needs a healthy gluten-free pizza! Easy to make and full of good fats and low on carbs!
Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
● For the cauliflower crust:
○ 12 Cups Cauliflower cut into florets (about 2 medium heads or 3 lbs.)
○ 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Garlic minced
○ 1/2 tsp Salt
○ 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
○ 1 1/3 Cup + 4 Tbsp Parmesan cheese grated and divided (about 3.5 oz)
○ 2 Large egg whites
● Process the cauliflower until it is fine, like the texture of rice. Place the cauliflower into a large bowl and microwave for 7 minutes, stir, and microwave for an additional 7 minutes. Then, let the cauliflower stand until cool enough to handle (approximately 10 minutes).
● Dump cauliflower into a thin flat kitchen towel (not terrycloth) and ring out ALL the excess moisture - this is the key to a crust that isn’t soggy.
● Transfer the cauliflower back into a large bowl and add in the garlic, salt, Italian seasoning, a pinch of pepper and 1 1/3 cups of the Parmesan. Stir until fully mixed, and then add the egg whites, mixing until well-mixed.
● Divide the cauliflower into 4 balls (about 1/2 cup each) and spread onto the pizza pan, leaving a ridge for the crust.
● Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
● While the crust bakes, get out your favorite tomato sauce (gluten free), shredded mozzarella cheese (gluten free), and select charcuterie, veggies etc. (The sky's the limit!)
● After the crust comes out of the oven, cool for 5 minutes - then spread with sauce, cheese and toppings. Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes or until browned and melted. Manga, gluten free pizza and beer-the ultimate pairing.
○ It doesn’t get more classic and guilt-free than this! A loaded pizza without the gluten paired with our Golden Ale – with the smooth, classic grain profile and some earthy hops on the finish. The beer pairs well with the earthiness of the tomato sauce, creamy richness of the cheese, and the nuttiness of the cauliflower crust.
Gose and Baked Goat Cheese
This is a great, tart wheat beer with a slight minerality. A perfect beer for hanging out on the back deck this summer. It’s most certainly dip time!
Baked Goat Cheese Dip:
○ 10 Ounces of goat cheese
○ 1/4 Cup of parmesan cheese
○ 1/2 Cup of shelled edamame (frozen is ﬁne)
○ 2 Tablespoons of olive oil or avocado oil
○ 2 Tablespoons of fresh cilantro
○ 2 Tablespoons of fresh parsley
○ 1 Teaspoon of chili ﬂakes
○ 2 Cloves of garlic
○ Finely minced Salt and Pepper
● Blend all ingredients to a ﬁne paste and place in low oven-safe dish. Broil until the top is golden brown (3-4 minutes). Serve with healthy options such as cut up veggies or toasted bean chips.
○ The rich, tart nature of goat cheese is a perfect pairing with the tartness of a Goose. Also, wheat beers are always a great pairing with herbal notes, like the fresh herbs and edamame in this dish. Just chill on the back deck and dip!
Other quick favorites:
Lobster Rolls – can’t go wrong in the summer with a fresh lobster roll and Cerveza Atletica.
Roasted Corn & Veggies – easy to throw on the grill, cook for 20 minutes and you’re all set!
Burgers and Beyond Burgers – Quick and easy on the grill – goes great with Run Wild.
Cheers! Enjoy your summer!